Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Grace Kelly was from Germantown


Great public forum on Historic Germantown where ex-pats have posted whimsical messages about the G-town they loved and lost. There are English, Italian and German surnames, but not many Irish. One from 2003 echoes my father's experience. The writer's last name is Murray -- which could be Irish, Scottish or English -- but I think he's Irish. He attended the same Catholic school as my father.

Born Gtn Hosp. Lived on Hansberry St. across from Germantown Cricket Club's high stone wall, over which we hit stickball home runs; glimpses of tennis tournaments from 2nd floor window. Lamplighter w. ladder lighting street lamp, 1940s; hitching post for horses. St. Francis of Assisi school; home through Happy Hollow. Full day of features, cartoons, serial ("The Scorpion!") at Wayne Ave. Theater. Long walks home from La Salle College & running/walking through nearby East Falls, past Queen Lane Sta., reservoir & Grace Kelly's old home, Henry & Coulter. Used to joke that Germantown of my youth was neighborhood of trees, old ladies & cats but I feel fortunate to have lived there. -- John Murray [Edited]

My father talked about Happy Hollow, the movies at Wayne Avenue and stickball. There are stories about him and his twin brother hanging out with Grace Kelly before she left for Hollywood and ran off to marry the Prince. She was from East Falls, the next neighborhood over, but my family claimed her as Germantown Irish.

As I have said, the Allens are full of blarney.

4 comments:

  1. I love Philly and I love history - so your blog is a double plus for me. Coincidentally, on a personal note, I spent many days and nights on Hansberry Street, when I was 6 years old to about 10 or 11 visiting my best friend at the time whose family lived on Hansberry Street, just across from the Germantown Cricket Club! Small world - small blog world. So I have fond memories of adventures on Hansberry Street including sneaking onto the Cricket Club property with my friend to get tennis balls that were lost in the grass. Hard to believe that's about 45 years ago now!
    Don't know if there was any Irish blood in my old friend's family! I'll try and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story -- I wonder if the kids who live on Hansberry Street now sneak in for the tennis balls? And I'd love to hear about your friend's family, even if they don't have Irish ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your family has ever right to claim her as a Germantonian! If anyone famous came from anywhere near Frankford, I'd be claiming them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace Kelly is one of my favorites! That is so neat that your father knew her!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis